Battle of the nude lip - high end vs drugstore || MAC Velvet Teddy Dupe

We are all in that trap of wanting Kylie Jenner lips right now - don't lie - I know you are. I mean, they are gorge. Several brands are bringing out a myriad of versions, all with their special twists on the trend, so what better time to put two to the test. 

I think it's fairly obvious just from the swatch picture just how insanely similar these two products are in terms of shade; I literally cannot tell the difference. Just to prove how identical these are on the lips, I wore each lipstick on half of my lips, and this was how it looked. I think I could wear this out and no one would tell I was wearing two; there is seriously no need to spend £15 on Mac when Maybelline is only £5! Better save those pennies. 

Left side = Maybelline
Right side = MAC

The only noticable difference between these is, of course, the finish. As advertised, the Mac is matte lip and this is very much true to the name, but I personally feel the Maybelline gives much more of a glossy finish, quite similar to that of the 'cremesheen' Mac lippies. So I guess if you're set on having a matte finish, then I would opt for Velvet Teddy, but otherwise these two are proven identical! I have also worn both of these for a day and in my opinion they had fairly similar qualities in terms of lasting power, too. 

What's your favourite Mac or drugstore lippy? Would love to find some new ones to try out!


CONVERSATION

35 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure these are basically twins or identical ones! This is such a great dupe, I'm going to have to get my hands on this Maybelline one!
    Charlotte // www.charlottespicks.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, they're honestly identical in shade!

      Delete
  2. Amazing post! Thank you for sharing it. That is literally such a good dupe, it really looks the same, I see no difference :) xx

    mylifeasmarinaa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a really good dupe :-) I do love MAC for nude colours, Patisserie is my favourite. It's super pretty as an everyday colour!
    xoxo
    http://gingersnaphattie.blogspot.fr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard great things about Patisserie and I for sure think that it is my next MAC purchase! It's beautiful x

      Delete
  4. These two look identical! And I love the Maybelline crayons, they're great quality and definitely not drying like matte lipsticks can be. x

    Mummy’s Beauty Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, they're great! Love them x

      Delete
  5. Wet n Wild's Bare it All is also pretty similar and it has a great formula in my opinion, not as drying as the MAC one. I have a comparison post up on my blog too! It's always great discovering cheaper alternatives to higher priced products though :)

    www.xueqiii.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh i've not heard of that one; I'll look into it. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll read your post to see that in action x

      Delete
  6. Such a great dupe, looks pretty much identical! I'm not so sure how I feel about brown lip tones in general but will keep this dupe in mind x

    Beauty with charm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love brown toned lips! Thanks for stopping by x

      Delete
  7. Velvet teddy is one of my favourites for sure! I must check out the maybelline one! Great post xx

    LPage Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a lovely blog post!! had a great read <3 thanks for sharing



    Jadiee'sLittleBlog

    ZoellaLook


    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look so identical. They are exact dupe. Thanks for sharing this hun :)
    http://yourbeautyjournal.com/ipsy-bag-july-2016/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem; thank you for stopping by x

      Delete
  10. What a great find! I love both Maybelline and MAC lipsticks!


    Parie x
    classandglitter.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my god, this is definitely one of the best Velvet Teddy dupes I've seen! x
    www.britishmermaid.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love velvet teddy! Omg you have braces! I recently got them and they are a nightmare x

    http://beauty-voguex.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  13. These really are incredibly similar! As you say, the Maybelline swatch is glossier but other than that they're pretty much identical! Will have to check the Maybelline one out. x

    Kate Louise Blogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, you really don't need to spend so much on the Mac one to be honest. Thanks for the comment! <3

      Delete
  14. They look pretty similar! I think Mac is way overpriced so I wouldn't go for that

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try the Maybelline one if you're wanting something similar as it is basically a cheap velvet teddy!

      Delete
  15. This is such a great dupe, especially considering I don't mind Maybelline Lipsticks!

    www.youarebeaut.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beautiful, you should give it a whirl 😊

      Delete
  16. I definitely agree the colour is so similar, I just find the Maybelline less matte in appearance and it transfers more, however sometimes you don't want to go completely matte anyway!

    Jasmine xx

    Jasmine Talks Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it does transfer more than the MAC but I don't really mind that. Just awkward to drink! Haha. Thanks for reading x

      Delete
  17. Oh this is perfect! I've been meaning to pick up Velvet Teddy but Maybelline is a lot easier to get a hold of so I'll definitely go for that one.

    www.thesundaymode.com

    ReplyDelete

Back
to top