Benefit Dew the Hoola || Free with Elle Magazine

Everyone loves benefit's hoola bronzer, that's a fact. And so the thought of the same product in a liquid form with an ever so sweet pun name ('dew' and 'do'...get it?) excited me greatly. Especially when I noticed that I could pick one up for free in the September Elle magazine that costed me £4.10 for 370 pages of high end fashion adverts that none of us can afford. But hey, it's the product we want here, right? Not Cara Delevigne looking gorgeous and telling me to buy expensive perfumes and clothing. 
 (I apologize about the horrendous lighting here; I just couldn't seem to get it right today. One of those bad camera days huh? The pictures seem a little blurred which is so annoying)

The product itself came in a cute, metallic box and is disposed via a small pump. Looks all good so far. 
Being a liquid product, I find it best applied and distributed on a damp beauty blender or complexion sponge with dabbing motions over swipes.
Then it came to the swatch. The excitement was obviously an anti climax, it seemed. Personally, I found dew the hoola to be extremely orange in colour, rather than a pretty. glowing bronze. It made me look more 'only way is Essex' than 'I've been to Hawaii and topped up the tan'. Whether that's because I am quite light or what, I haven't enjoyed this as much as I expected, which is such a shame.
I also felt it sort of blended into a nothing ness on my face due to the fact that it is largely water based - something else which I disliked. I'm glad this was a sample rather than a full priced product; my purse would be extremely sad as it would be £22.50 short. 

Overall, I am generally not impressed. I do think I should probably try using this in a different way though. Maybe mix into some of my lighter foundations when I am more tanned to give a better match? I feel that would be more suited the to product. 

Have you tried Benefit's new twist Hoola? Were you more impressed than I was? Let me know. 

N x

CONVERSATION

41 comments:

  1. I haven't tried this actually - I thought it would be good, but I haven't heard many decent reviews yet.

    Georgia | The Weekend Attic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a shame isn't it! I was so excited at first x

      Delete
  2. Wow! Thanks for your sincere reviews, thanks for sharing.

    www.tessyonyia.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's such a great deal! I have a sample size of dew the hoola and I love it on my olive toned skin. That's why makeup can be tricky, it can suit some and not others.

    XoXo,

    Tamara - LoveofMode.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think it must depend on skin tone with whether this can be made to work or not. I have really pale skin and so chances were low 😂 I'm glad you enjoy the product though x

      Delete
  4. THANK YOU for your honest review. It's so hard to find honest reviews lately. I've tried the liquid product and I just don't think it works well as the powder.

    xx BASH |   go say   H E Y   B A S H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I completely agree. I'll stick to powder thanks 👍😉 x

      Delete
  5. I got the sample of this a couple weeks ago and found i disappointing, its very water based and goes from orange to almost nothing when blended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, couldn't agree more. It's such a shame! X

      Delete
  6. I'm suuuper skeptical about bronzer so I haven't tried this out yet, it just looks way too orange! Such a shame as Benefit bronzers usually have a great rep x
    http://www.britishmermaid.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Everyone loves them. Such a shame x

      Delete
  7. I would love to try their bronzer it looks so stunning. Also love your photos xx

    mylifeasmarinaa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I saw it in the store, I was tempted to get the magazine, however, I didn't as I don't really like liquid bronzer/blusher. After reading your review, I am happy that I skipped it :)

    Ela BellaWorld

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually go for liquids either. I'll definitely be sticking to powders from now on!x

      Delete
  9. Oooo, that is such a warm bronzer. I think it's even too orange for me and I have pretty deep medium skin tone. What a shame indeed. That said, I love how the magazines in the UK are so generous with beauty samples, I never see that here in Canada. :-(

    Shireen | Reflection of Sanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? We always have a sample of some sort somewhere. It only makes me buy the magazines though, even though I never read them! Haha. Thanks for reading x

      Delete
  10. I couldn't get this to work for me either! It's so hyped too xx

    Gemma ♡ Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had not yet heard about this but after reading this post I will definitely not pick it up!

    Sarah | What Sarah Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think it was worth trying the sample but buying a full size is unnecessary! Thanks for reading x

      Delete
  12. Very great post, thanks for sharing ! Have a nice week-end ! ♥

    Suzanne xx
    Check my blog : http://yourlovelyplace.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with you, I was quite shocked at the shade too! I don't mind it when I blend it in but it's very subtle and I wouldn't pay for a full size! I got my mini for free when O2 Priority had an offer on!

    Danielle's Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love the o2 priority offers! Thanks for reading x

      Delete
  14. I've def seen mixed reviews on this. Love the honesty!
    Omnivogues

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hate to be negative be we aren't going to lie! Haha x

      Delete
  15. I did see this but I'm not hugely into bronzer so I gave it a miss. Great review though, some products are quite hyped so it's disappointing when you give them a try and find that they don't work well for you. I didn't find their gimme brow that incredible either :) xx

    Velvet Blush

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post! Love your blog xx
    www.basicallyalice.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  17. Superb!
    Inspirational Home Decorations Love~~ DiynLifestyle- Everything about creativity, arts, crafts, diy, fashion and lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Replies
    1. I've never tried the actual hoola powder bronzer but I really want to. Thank you:)

      Delete

Back
to top